Wednesday, May 23, 2007

This tape will self-destruct in five seconds

I love it when a patron comes to the desk and says, "You're too young to remember this, but...." Yesterday a man started off this way, then asked if I could help him find a video of the original Mission:Impossible television show. (Did I remember it? It was one of my favorite shows!)

Before I could look it up, he quizzed me, "Do you remember who was in it?"
I replied, "Peter Lupus, Greg Morris, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain."
"No," he said, "it was Peter Graves."
"Yes, but Peter Lupus played Willy, the muscleman. And for the first season, Stephen Hill starred, but was then replaced by Peter Graves. His character was shot during a gunfight in a cemetery in the final episode." (How on earth did I remember all this?)

I found the first season on DVD and placed it on hold for the patron. He was very pleased, smiled and shook my hand. Ranganathan's laws stress matching the book to the reader, but in this case I think we matched the librarian to the reader. (I put the DVD on hold for myself, too.)

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It was one of my favorite shows too !! its surprising that with 800 channels available from Time Warner, that not one picks up this show. The movie series does not compare to the TV series. I may have to reserve that DVD after you're done with it.

Dennis the Tutor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home