Thursday, August 30, 2007

How to Find Coffee on the Internet

This post will fulfill my blog's mission of providing important coffee news as well as some tips for successful Internet searching.

Yesterday I read a news story titled What Men Should Eat Every Day. It turns out I'm doing everything it recommends, except for the fish (I'm a vegetarian) and the red wine. And I was overjoyed to read this part, "Coffee actually has been shown to reduce liver cancer and to be effective with—or with symptoms of—Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. Twenty-four ounces of coffee a day is a rational amount for one person." This was posted on Oprah's site and today they had another pro-coffee article titled, The Latest Health Drink: Coffee.

Both articles recommend a sensible intake. I drink two mugs a day. All things in moderation - a regimen I practiced on our recent vacation. We drove to Michigan for my mother-in-law's 90th birthday party. On the way out and back we stopped in Stratford, Ontario for the Shakespeare Festival. Along the way I got to visit some of my favorite independent coffee shops. In Stratford, Balzac's on Ontario Street is the best, but a few blocks away is the funkier Sputnik Espresso Bar. Their barista was a nice guy, but he should think about trying a decaffeinated brand. The next day we crossed the Blue Water Bridge at noon, just in time for lunch at a cafe in Port Huron, MI and a cappucino at the excellent Raven Coffee House. While in Paw Paw, MI, I went to That Coffee Place for some lattes for me and my grateful stepdaughter, who was worn out from traveling with a two-year old.

Although it's not a coffee shop, a big thank you to The Breakfast Place in Lawton, MI, where the joe comes in a seriously large mug, not one of those pitiful demitasse jobs that many restaurants use.

Whenever I travel, I always scout out the independent shops before we go. Often, I use the Delocator or find them by Googling "coffee shops" and the city name.

While trying to find a justification for posting about coffee on a library-related blog, I discovered similarities between libraries and independent coffee shops. They both have a wide selection of items, they seem genuinely happy to help you, and they'll go the extra mile to make sure you get what you want.

And while we're on the subject, here are some helpful diagrams of common espresso drinks".

OK, it's time for my famous magic trick where I make a cup of coffee disappear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home